Carlisle boxer Marc Haughan is north west champion for a fifth time – and is now targeting national success.

The Carlisle Villa Amateur Boxing Club boxer came out on top of the regional under-75kg category after three strong displays.

He earned the north west senior elite title belt after defeating opponents from Bolton and Burnley.

He will now set out his stall for a fourth national title, with Haughan joining his fellow regional champions in the pre quarter-finals which take place in Walsall on Saturday.

A solid unanimous points win in Tameside saw Haughan him through the quarter-finals against old foe Josh Taylor who represents Bolton’s Metro Boxing Club.

In the semi-final he then defeated Roche ABC boxer Charlie Smith in Ashton.

The Burnley boxer started well landing some solid shots on Haughan in the opening round.

But the Cumbrian picked it up in the second and took control for the remainder of the contest, putting together some good combinations.  A standing count at the end of the round confirmed his dominance.

In the third round he continued to land some power shots which had Smith on the ropes, and a number of body shots forced the referee to step in to issue a mandatory eight count.

Haughan was patient at the restart but when he did connect he did so with quality which had Smith in trouble – and after another two-punch combination the referee waved the bout off.

In the final Haughan faced another Burnley boxer, Angelo Wade, who represents Sandygate ABC. Wade was known to be a strong aggressive boxer so the Carlisle boxer knew he was going to be in for a tough bout.

The first bell rang out with Haughan on the front foot and caught Wade cold with a solid back hand. The Carlisle Villa boxer continued to push forward and landed another solid shot followed by a right hook.

Wade was struggling to keep his shape but still let go with a right hand which hit Haughan flush, but he just brushed it off and continued forward.

Both boxers were letting their shots go but it was Haughan that seemed to have more venom in his punches. A long back hand hit the target and Wade stumbled just as Haughan landed a left uppercut, and referee Karl Whalley stepped in to issue a standing eight count.

Haughan was on the front foot from the restart and, although Wade did counter it, did nothing to prevent him from pushing forward. They came together and some infighting ensued with both landing some good body shots right up to the bell.

Wade and his corner knew he was a round down and tried to force it in the second but this played right into Haughan’s hands as he walked right onto a backhand right hook combination, and another backhand had the referee stepping in again to issue another eight count.

The game Wade once again ploughed forward but walked onto another good shot, this time a right hook which after another count referee Whalley waved the bout off – Haughan securing the regional title and moving into the national stages.

Thanks to Jimmy Brennan for the report