Penrith AFC came out on top in the Easter Monday derby with Carlisle City.

Darren Edmondson's side claimed a 2-0 win over their Cumbrian rivals in Northern League Division One.

The Bonny Blues took control midway through the half as goals from Robbie Hebson and Luke Hunter put them in control.

Hebson struck after 19 minutes with Hunter doubling Penrith's lead nine minutes later.

And that proved enough to seal the points in front of 215 fans at the Leo Group Stadium.

The result saw Penrith avenge their defeat at Carlisle City in the season's previous derby, which Jim Nichols' side won 3-2 on Boxing Day.

Penrith's first win in six games leaves them 14th in the table, with City seventh.

There was another defeat for Workington Reds, meanwhile, in the Northern Premier League Premier Division - despite a goal from their goalkeeper.

Danny Grainger's men went down 3-2 at home to Atherton Collieries.

Reds gave themselves too much to do as they trailed 1-0 at the break then found themselves three behind with 19 minutes to go.

A late fightback saw Steven Rigg pull one back - before, in added time, keeper Jim Atkinson came up for a corner which he promptly headed home.

News and Star: Jim Atkinson (grey jersey) scores for Workington against Atherton CollieriesJim Atkinson (grey jersey) scores for Workington against Atherton Collieries (Image: Ben Challis)

Greg McCaragher was then denied a dramatic equaliser but it was a decidedly below-par showing from Reds overall against their relegated visitors, with the exception of player/assistant manager Conor Tinnion.

It was a fourth straight defeat for the 15th-placed west Cumbrians, the last two coming against sides in the bottom four, as their season appears to be ending with a whimper.

Incoming boss Mark Fell was in the 1,029 crowd and outgoing manager Danny Grainger said: "We play four teams fighting for play-off places to finish the season, and if we perform like this I shudder to think what the scores will be."

Further reporting: John Walsh