A MAN who spat and kicked at police, threatening to ‘bite their faces off’, has been jailed for 10 months.

Police were called to attend an incident in the Busher Walk area of Kendal on October 21. Kyran Weston, 20, was having an argument with members of the public and appeared to be ‘distressed’, Workington Magistrates’ Court heard.

Prosecutor Pamela Fee said Weston ‘quickly became agitated’. He told the police officer, ‘I will f*****g headbutt you’.

Weston was ‘actively resisting’ police and lunged towards one of the officers. He spat at the officers while being restrained.

He continued to be aggressive, kicking out and lunging at officers. When placed in handcuffs, he kicked out towards police.

Weston continued with the aggressive behaviour and had to be forced into the police van. He became more aggressive and had to be restrained to prevent self-harm because he was banging his head.

He was spitting at the officers and threatened to ‘bite their faces off’.

A second incident took place inside a property at Headlands Close in Workington on December 27.

Police had reason to arrest Weston and found him hiding under a bed. He lashed out at officers, attempting to kick out and spit at them.

A number of officers had to attend to assist with restraining him. Weston had then kicked an officer in the leg while being booked into custody at the police station. He then had to be inserted into a cell.

Weston pleaded guilty to four charges of assault by beating of an emergency worker and one charge of resisting a constable in execution of duty and being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

John Cooper, defending, said: “Over the years I’ve had dealings with his dad, mum, stepdad. All are now deceased.

“His upbringing has been quite chaotic. There has been a lot of exposure to drug use over the years and he has struggled.

“Since New Year, he has calmed down. He’s in the most stable place he is going to be.”  

A probation officer said Weston lacked the motivation to engage with a community-based sentence and his risk was ‘unmanageable’ in the community at the present time.

Mark Gear, chair of the magistrates, said: “This behaviour can’t keep going on.

“The offences are so serious that only custody would be appropriate in this case.”

Weston, of Low White Close, Barrow-in-Furness, was sentenced to a total of 10 months in custody. He was ordered to pay £150 in compensation to one of the police officers he assaulted.