Carlisle bare-knuckle boxing champion Danny Christie suffered a first-round defeat in his latest BKFC outing.

The Currock fighter lost his unbeaten record as he was knocked down three times by American Jared Warren.

The fight was declared over by referee Alan Jackson after one minute and 56 seconds at BKFC 55 Leeds.

Christie, the British light-heavyweight champion, was visibly unhappy with the decision to stop the fight.

The Carlisle man beat the referee’s eight count after the third knockdown but the official decided he could not continue.

It was the 38-year-old’s first defeat in the major bare-knuckle scene after three previous victories in BKFC.

News and Star: It was Christie's first defeat in four BKFC outingsIt was Christie's first defeat in four BKFC outings (Image: BKFC)

Christie was up against it from an early stage in Saturday night's main event contest in Leeds as he was floored by a strong right-hand from Florida-based Warren, who weighed in heavier than the Currock puncher at 185.4lb against 184.2lb.

A short left hand from the Tampa fighter nicknamed ‘Captain Deadpool’ then sent Christie down again and opened up a cut near his left eye.

And a further blow from Warren, a right-hand jab, knocked down Christie for the third time in the first round.

Although the Cumbrian got back up a third time the referee quickly called a halt to proceedings at Leeds' Planet Ice.

It handed experienced MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter Warren victory by Technical Knock-Out.

The defeat is Christie’s first setback in his impressive BKFC career which, since the summer of 2022, has seen victories over Terry Brazier, Darren Godfrey and Anthony Holmes.

The Carlisle boxer has been hoping his meteoric rise in the sport would eventually earn him a shot at the world title which is currently held by American Lorenzo Hunt.

There was, though, Cumbrian success at BKFC 55 Leeds thanks to Agi Faulkner.

News and Star: Agi Faulkner, from Egremont, chalked up a quickfire victory over Rob CunninghamAgi Faulkner, from Egremont, chalked up a quickfire victory over Rob Cunningham (Image: BKFC)

The Egremont fighter needed less than a minute of his contest with Welsh opponent Rob Cunningham to claim victory.

Faulkner, who weighed in at 234.4lb, won by technical knockout in the heavyweight fight which was on the preliminary card.

The west Cumbrian knocked down Cunningham after two powerful right hand shots in the first round, and the fighter from Deeside was unable to continue.

The victory after 57 seconds was Faulkner's second from two fights in BKFC after his win over Daniel Robson in Newcastle last November.