A CORONER offered heartfelt condolences to relatives of a family-man who 'would do anything for anyone' after he tragically passed away.

Luke Nathaniel Wilson, 24, from Workington, died on May 5 2022 in the ICU of West Cumberland Hospital, days after he was discovered near Harrington railway station. 

The coroner's court heard how, following his death, the devoted father's organs were donated to help save lives.

The father of one, who was described as being the 'best dad' and always wanting to spend time with his two year-old daughter, was born on January 20 1998, at the West Cumberland Hospital.

Selina Wilson, Luke's mother, described her eldest child, who attended Seascale Primary, as a 'normal cheeky-lad' who loved the outdoors and BMX-ing with his friends. 

A keen motor enthusiast, Luke would go on to study motor mechanics at West Lakes College, before taking up a role as a Tesco delivery driver - a job which he loved, especially as he was always looking for opportunities to make money to spend on his cherished daughter.

Luke had only met his biological father once, but had found two other father figure role-models throughout his life - but the inquest heard that, tragically, both figures ended up taking their own lives.

The inquest heard how deeply traumatic it must have been for Luke to lose both of those men he held dear to him.

Ms Wilson described the pride and joy her son had after the birth of his child, saying: "All he wanted to ever be was a dad".

Demi-Lee, Luke's girlfriend and mother of their child, described Luke as a 'great and genuine boyfriend' who will be sorely missed by all who knew him. 

Prior to his death, Luke messaged his partner to say that he was not in the right space to look after their daughter.

The toxicology report revealed there was no substances to impact his decision to take his own life.

After being alerted by a member of the public, emergency services discovered an unresponsive Luke near Harrington railway station on May 2. A pulse was found and he was then placed in the intensive care unit at West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven.

But at the hospital, it became apparent he had suffered irreversible brain damage and treatment was withdrawn.

Coroner Robert Cohen concluded that the 24-year-old sadly died on May 5 of an act in which he intended to take his own life.

When life is difficult, Samaritans are here – day or night, 365 days a year. You can call them for free on 116 123, email them at jo@samaritans.org, or visit www.samaritans.org to find your nearest branch.

READ NEXT: Carlisle Magistrates’ Court issues over £3,500 in fines to environmental crime offenders