AN inquest heard how a sunny, fun-filled day for a group of teenagers turned to "complete and utter tragedy" when one of them got into difficulty in a Carlisle river.

Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abdul Hamid, known as Hamid, died on July 18 last year, in the River Eden, in Rickerby Park.

Area coroner Ms Kirsty Gomersal opened the Cockermouth inquest, saying: "I would like to offer to Hamid's mother, sister, father and brother and the remainder of their family my deepest condolences at the passing of such a special young man."

She later praised Hamid's friends who "acted bravely and responsibly in trying to save their very good friend".

Hamid's family, who live in Barrock Street, Carlisle, paid tribute to their beloved son and brother.

Hajera Begum, his mother, told the inquest her son had enjoyed his time at Bishop Harvey Goodwin Primary School and had a good relationship with his father and siblings.

He later went to Richard Rose Academy.

He liked going to the gym, gaming, boxing and playing football with his friends.

"He was really popular at school, everyone knew him," she said.

He attended the local mosque and liked his teacher, said Mrs Begum.

"He was always trying to improve himself. He was fun and loved chatting to people," she said. He was researching a career in sports therapy and was also interested in construction.

"We miss Hamid greatly. He was the life of the house and our home is quiet without him.

"I have been left devastated by his death. We visit his grave every day and I want to be there all the time," said Mrs Begum.

Hamid's friend told the inquest that a group of them had headed to the river bank on the afternoon of July 17. The coroner later heard Hamid could not swim.

"We had been there a good few hours. It was hot and we were having a good time," he said.

Some of them had swum across the river to jump in, before returning. Hamid had not been swimming and stayed where he was, he said.

"I was getting ready to leave when I noticed my friend sprint into the river.

"Hamid was in the area with a fast current. He was splashing about, flailing his arms," he said.

"I realised Hamid was in trouble. He looked like he was trying to swim and was going under the water."

Two friends went to try and rescue him. "They came up for air but Hamid was still under the surface," he said.

The police were called and some of the friends searched unsuccessfully for Hamid.

A multi agency search was launched. Police divers found Hamid's body the following morning in a deep trench near where he had entered the water.

A post mortem gave the cause of death as drowning.

Ms Gomersal said: "Hamid was a much loved son, brother and friend. His family has been devastated by his loss. This young man was at the prime of his life and taken too soon on a sunny day.

"He was the life of the house. He worked hard at school and had many thoughts about what he would like to do in the future.

"He was a popular young man at school with many friends. He worked hard to improve his grades and had many opportunities available to him.

"He is much missed by his family who visit his grave every day."

She noted the "best efforts" of his friends.

"My view is all of Hamid's friends were extremely diligent and brave in trying to assist their friend who ended up in trouble," she said.

"There was a thorough search of the river and banks."

She concluded there were no suspicious circumstances and accepted the cause of death as drowning

"He died as a result of misadventure," she said.

"This is where someone does something deliberately but does not expect the consequences to be their own death.

"How tragic it is that such a sunny day ended in complete and utter tragedy for you all.

"Hamid's friends acted bravely and responsibly in trying to save their very good friend."