Firefighters are pleading with the community to be gas safe.

Crews from Both Carlisle Stations have shared a video explaining the importance of knowing the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

This week plays host to Gas safety week and the crews are keen to keep people safe and help peopole understand the dangers.

Jackson Kidd for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: "We're supporting the 11th annual gas safety week which aims to raise awareness and keep the nation gas safe.

"Gas safety is important all year round, but it is not always a household’s top priority.

"Gas Safety Week - coordinated by Gas Safe Register - provides a platform for the gas industry, consumer organisations and individuals to focus all our communications about gas safety in one week.

"Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service are also working in collaboration with Cadent Gas to increase the awareness and understanding of the risks associated with Carbon Monoxide.

"We urge all households with a fuel burning appliance or fireplace to purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector, these can be picked up for about £15 from hardware shops.

" It is also important to understand and recognise the signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, which are - Headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.”

The crews are asking people to only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances and have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year

Knowing the six signs of of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning be the difference between life and death.

Jackson said: "Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly and fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm."

He is encouraging everyone to keep vents and chimneys clear and use gas appliances only for their intended purpose. Sweep open-fire chimneys twice per year and test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms weekly.

He added: "If you suspect gas to be leaking or have leaked in the home, These are the steps you need to take to stay safe, Get fresh air immediately; make sure you open all doors and windows to ventilate the area.Turn off the gas emergency control valve (also called gas emergency shut off valve) at the meter. Extinguish all naked flames and don’t smoke.

"Don’t operate electrical switches (including turning light switches on or off) because this can ignite escaping gas

"If you are feeling the effects of gas or carbon monoxide contact the emergency services immediately."