RESIDENTS had to evacuate a Carlisle home this morning after an alarm for deadly gas sounded.

Firefighters from Carlisle East, Carlisle West and Wigton fire stations were called to the incident, on Dalton Avenue, at 4.30am this morning.

They entered the property with breathing apparatus – a detector showed that carbon monoxide was present.

After ventilating it they handed the incident over to British Gas.

A fire service spokesman said: “This could have been a very different outcome if the property didn’t have a carbon monoxide alarm which prompted the occupants to evacuate.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, and you can’t see, smell, or taste it.

“The only way you would know it is there is if you have a working carbon monoxide detector.

“We would advise that all properties with gas appliances, or fuel burning fires, stoves have a working carbon monoxide detector.”