The fire service were called out to a house fire in Carlisle.

Crews from Carlisle East and Carlisle West were called to reports of a kitchen fire on Tramside Way on December 1 at 5.35pm.

When the crews arrived they found a fire which had started in a cooker in the kitchen had been put out, having been tackled with a dry powder fire extinguisher.

Crews removed the oven involved to the garden and ventilated the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

They said: "Luckily no one was injured but this incident highlights the importance of having working smoke detectors in all domestic properties.

"All domestic properties should have an absolute minimum of one working smoke detector, preferably two though, one on each level of the property, normally sited on the ceiling at the top and bottom of the stairs.

They want to remind the public that smoke detectors save lives, as they give an early warning of danger.

Fire safety information and the organisation of a Safe and Well Visit to your home, can be obtained by contacting 0800 358 4777.

If you have received a Home Fire Safety Check or Safe and Well Visit from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service and your smoke alarm has stopped working, for a free replacement, contact Fire Angel on 0800 141 2561.