A 21-YEAR-OLD NHS worker has avoided an immediate jail sentence after attacking someone with a glass bottle in a nightclub.

Chelcea Brough was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court during a virtual hearing yesterday.

She was jailed for nine months, suspended for two years, for an attack at Club 135 in Whitehaven on August 10 last year.

Brough used a glass bottle to strike a single blow to Ashleigh Tynan’s head, in the nightclub formally known as Roc Bar. The bottle did not smash in the attack, which took place shortly before midnight.

Brough, of Asby Road in Workington, admitted the charge of unlawful wounding at the city’s crown court on April 28.

Defence barrister Rob Dudley said the defendant was a woman of previous good character.

Following the conviction she has been suspended from her duties as home care practitioner for the NHS, based at Workington Hospital.

The court heard how she had been providing in-home care between the hours of 8am and 10pm, before she was moved to administrative duties.

She had worked overnight shifts at a care home too prior to the Covid-19 outbreak, the court was told.

Mr Dudley said his client accepted full responsibility for her actions and had some shown genuine remorse.

He said she recognised that the way she acted was overwhelmingly disproportionate to any perceived issue.

The court heard how a pre-sentence report carried out by the probation service said there was a low risk of a higher conviction for Brough and a low risk of her causing serious harm.

During the hearing, Judge Nicholas Barker handed Brough a prison sentence of nine months, but suspended it for two years.

This means if she doesn’t offend again in the next two years that the sentence will be written off.

If she does offend again, she will serve the nine-months in jail on top of any subsequent sentence.

Alongside her suspended sentence, Brough was given 120 hours of unpaid work to complete.

She was also ordered to pay £400 in compensation to the victim and was told to pay a £149 surcharge to fund victim services.

A two-year restraining order was also issued by the court, banning Brough from contacting the victim either directly or indirectly.

Brough is also subject to a 10-week electronic curfew.