A thankfully short-lived kitchen fire sparked a response from Carlisle firefighters this evening.

At about 7.30, crews from Carlisle east and west fire stations were called to reports of a property fire on Granville Road, Carlisle.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "In attendance, crews discovered that there had been a small fire in the kitchen, which had been extinguished prior to our arrival, but the flat was smoke logged.

"Crews ventilated the property, before completing a safe and well visit and issuing fire safety advice."