AN INJURED walker was airlifted to hospital after a fall while on a hike in the Lake District.

The team from Patterdale Mountain Rescue were called out after a woman had slipped and badly injured her ankle near the summit on Place Fell.

A spokesman said: "As it was a suspected broken ankle, assistance was requested from the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS).

"Once on scene the casualty was treated by the GNAAS paramedic and doctor.

"The casualty was then evacuated by stretcher over boggy ground to the nearby helicopter for onward travel to Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle."

The rescue lasted for three and a half hours and involved a total of 13 Patterdale members and three crew from GNAAS.

Elsewhere across the Lake District, members from Keswick Mountain Rescue were called to help in a separate incident.

A total of 17 team members were sent out just after 3.40pm to Barrow Fell near Keswick.

A young woman and her dad were heading down Barrow Fell after a hike around the Coledale Horseshoe when she went over on her ankle and heard a popping sound.

Keswick MRT said: "They dialled 999 and asked for mountain rescue help.

"Two vehicles left the base and rushed to assist.

"After setting up a shelter against the very cold wind the team did an assessment before splinting the ankle and packaging her up for a stretcher carry.

"The lovely smooth grassy nature of the Barrow path meant that we were able to slide the stretcher on its skis the majority of the way down to the foot of the hill.

"The pair were then able to make their own way to Carlisle Infirmary for an x-ray."

The rescue lasted an hour and 40 minutes.

On Saturday afternoon, 24 mountain rescue members from Keswick were sent to Beckstones Gill when a walker experienced symptoms of a heart attack, including an 'extremely high' heart rate.

The Keswick spokesman added: "As a result the walker was unable to continue. By the time we arrived at the scene the heart rate had reduced and after a check over by the team doctor the casualty was able to walk accompanied down to the road."

It lasted an hour and a half.