STEPS are being taken to increase security for staff at a jewellers targeted by raiders twice in three months.

St Nicholas Galleries, in Bank Street, Carlisle, was robbed by balaclava-clad men last week, leaving the owner needing hospital treatment for facial injuries.

For the terrified staff it was the second time criminals had targeted the shop.

On March 22, a man wearing a long red wig and a beanie hat pulled a knife and threatened the workers before fleeing with a quantity of jewellery.

On that occasion no one was injured, but police supported the staff afterwards.

No one was ever charged with that offence.

Following the second incident at the jewellers, detectives are now working to see how they can help protect St Nicholas Galleries.

Detective Chief Inspector Helen Harkins, who is the senior investigating officer in the latest incident, said: “We’re trying to see what we can put in place for the future.

“The staff were left shaken and worried but these sorts of events are very rare - even though these incidents have been two in three months.”

The injured man was treated at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle and later discharged.

Following last Thursday’s incident, Cumbria Police asked anybody who saw a blue Ford Fiesta or “possibly a black Audi A3” to get in touch, and continue to appeal for information.

Det Ch Insp Harkins added: “All information or sightings could be vital. If you have any photographs, video footage or dashcam of any of the incident or the vehicles involved, please get in touch.”

Those living around Spencer Street, Chatsworth Square, Chiswick Street, Warwick Road and Victoria Place were also asked to check bins and back gardens for abandoned bags or clothing.

  • Daniel Burtak, 32, and Ashley John Entwistle, 35, appeared at Carlisle’s magistrates’ court on Saturday, each charged with the robbery of a man of “jewellery to the value of an amount yet to be determined” on Thursday, June 6.

No pleas were indicated and magistrates committed the case to Carlisle Crown Court. The men will appear on July 12.

Burtak, of no fixed abode but previously of Kaber, near Kirkby Stephen, and Entwistle, of Athlone Avenue, Bolton, Greater Manchester, were remanded in custody.