A van was ravaged by flames after it caught fire on the edge of Brampton this morning.

Firefighters from the Carlisle West stations were called to reports of a van on fire shortly before 11am.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: "The crew arrived to find a van with the passenger compartment destroyed by fire.

“Fortunately, the van owner had used a fire extinguisher to quell the flames and was thankfully uninjured."

Pictures of the aftermath of the incident showed the significant damage to the inside of the van.

“Please take care not to leave reflective or flammable materials in bright or direct sunlight," the service spokesman added.

“Please also ensure that any phone chargers powered by cigarette lighters are unplugged when not in use as the socket may be live.”