TWO men charged with dangerous driving offences in relation to a horror crash in Carlisle are due to appear at the crown court.

Owen Luke Brown, 19, and Stephen Reay, 56, appeared before magistrates yesterday following the serious collision which brought Botchergate to a standstill on a busy Saturday night last September.

They each face two charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and have had their case sent to Carlisle Crown Court.

The charges allege Brown, of Dalston, was driving a grey Ford Fiesta dangerously on Botchergate outside The Border Rambler on September 15 and caused serious injury to Adam Bunting and Glenn O’Fee.

Reay, of Cumwhinton, the charges allege, caused serious injury to the same two victims by driving a white Skoda Octavia dangerously on Botchergate outside The Border Rambler.

Brown was represented by Mark Shepherd. He was wearing a grey suit and spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.

Rebecca Stanton was defending Reay, who again spoke only to confirm his details.

Both entered no pleas at yesterday’s hearing.

They have been granted unconditional bail ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing at Carlisle Crown Court on June 17.

Six people were initially taken to hospital following the collision that caused chaos on the busy city street which is usually packed with revellers on a Saturday night.

Mr O’Fee and Mr Bunting, both of Whitehaven, were the most seriously injured - one suffering a head and back injury and the other a serious leg injury - while four others sustained minor injuries.

The collision, which happened at about 7pm, just hours before the road would usually be closed to traffic, left debris scattered outside the pub.

At the height of the emergency response, about a dozen police cars and vans were seen in Botchergate helping to maintain cordons and bring in road accident investigators.

A fire crew was also in attendance as were the North West Ambulance Service and two recovery vehicles.