A thug subjected his ex-partner to a brutal assault - after she accidentally called him her former boyfriend's name.

Jake Francis, 22, had admitted assaulting Katie Jamieson, causing her actual bodily harm, punching her repeatedly - even grabbing her by the throat.

He appeared at Carlisle Crown Court for sentencing, where Tim Evans, prosecuting, told the court Francis and Miss Jamieson had been in a relationship.

She became pregnant but the couple separated before a daughter was born.

However, Francis travelled to west Cumbria from the north east on several occasions, including October, 2015.

On that occasion, the court heard, the pair were trying to get back together. They and two others gathered at address in Whitehaven.

"Everyone seemed to be having a good time, until she accidentally called the defendant the name of her ex-boyfriend," said Mr Evans.

"She was punched by the defendant in the chest with some force. She was shocked by what happened."

Francis and Miss Jamieson moved on to another address, where he became "really aggressive, shouting and swearing".

"The argument became more heated," said Mr Evans. "Then, for no reason, the defendant punched her twice to the side of her face and head.

"It was a punch delivered forcefully and quickly, and caused real pain, she says."

Miss Jamieson reached for a frying pan to try and ward him off. But he became more angry, grabbing her throat and punching her repeatedly.

The court heard Francis later tried to pin the blame on his former partner, and claimed he acted in self-defence.

Miss Jamieson's mouth was left bloodied and initially she could not see out of her left eye. A hospital doctor identified different areas of injury, noting swelling and bruising around the side of her face.

Francis was represented in court by lawyer Fiona Lamb, who was due to give mitigation on his behalf.

But after Judge Peter Davies raised a number of questions about Francis's personal circumstances, a decision was taken to adjourn the case.

Francis, of Croft Terrace, Jarrow, South Tyneside, was bailed until October 7, when he is due to learn his fate.