Emotional tributes were paid to a "kind and generous" mother after an inquest heard she took her own life.

Family and friends described Nicola Moore, who was chef and co-owner at the Lowther Arms in Whitehaven, as a "friendly" and "well-liked" woman.

Mrs Moore, 31, was found dead at her home on Keir Hardie Avenue, Cleator Moor, on October 26 last year. A suicide note was found which, the coroner said, made her intentions clear.

Her mother Valerie Conchie described her daughter as a "lovely, well-liked girl" who was "kind and generous" and "loyal to her family and friends".

David Moore, her husband, said "she was a grafter", who had "loved life". He had met his wife in 2005 and they had a son together in December 2010, before marrying in May 2011.

The mother-of-one had been running the Lowther Arms since March 2017 after previously working as manager at The Glass House, in Whitehaven, and at the Blackbeck Inn, Egremont.

Neighbour John Woodend said: "Nicola was a friendly neighbour. A nice lass. It's a terrible shame what has happened."

The inquest at Cockermouth heard that Mrs Moore had suicidal tendencies and had split with her husband just a few weeks before her death.

Her sister-in-law Sian Lilly said Mrs Moore was struggling to cope after she had been assaulted earlier in 2017.

A toxicology report, carried out by Dr Paul Smith, found "evidence of cocaine use", which, he said, may have increased suicidal tendencies. There was also alcohol in her blood.

Mr Chapman said the cause of death was hanging and concluded that she killed herself. He said it was "an enormously sad case" and "clearly she was very troubled on the night of her death".

A statement by Dr Cecelia Heasman, from Westcroft House Surgery, Egremont, said Mrs Moore had visited the surgery on October 9.

She said Mrs Moore had admitted "taking cocaine most days to give her a lift" and having suicidal thoughts, but said she wouldn't act on them. She was given anti-depressants.

Mrs Moore had split up with her husband after the relationship became strained due to her cocaine use.

The inquest heard she thought the cocaine "was helping to calm her down but it did exactly the opposite".

On the night before Mrs Moore's death, Miss Lilly had visited her to check on her Halloween preparations.

Speaking at the inquest, Miss Lilly said Mrs Moore admitted cocaine was one of the reasons for the break-up of her marraige and she had "appeared to be hiding" her cocaine use on the night.

Mrs Moore told Miss Lilly she had suicidal thoughts but could never leave her friends and family behind. The pair hugged and Miss Lilly left at around 1.30am, telling her sister-in-law she could confide in her.

The next morning, Mrs Moore's neighbour John Woodend and his daughter Julie Goodfellow were alerted to her death.

Mrs Goodfellow told the inquest she called Mrs Moore's husband, who came running to the house, while her father called the emergency services.

PC David Martin arrived at Keir Hardie Avenue at 10.05am. He attempted CPR until paramedics arrived and took over before pronouncing her dead at 10.40am.

Mrs Conchie said her daughter attended Orgill School and Wyndham School, Egremont, where she played netball.

Described as a "tomboy", she was "active and well-liked" at school. She battled with meningitis at 13 and began work at the Blackbeck Inn at 16.

Her mother said she "worked tirelessly" and had "seemed happier in her work" since moving to the Lowther Arms.