A young mum whose suspicious death at her Carlisle home sparked a murder probe has been named as Melinda Korosi.

Police were called out to the 33-year-old's home in a cul-de-sac off Orton Road just after 6am yesterday.

Officers who arrived there a few minutes later found Miss Korosi inside, critically injured.

She died a short time later.

A 29-year-old man who was in the end-terraced house when police arrived was arrested on suspicion of murder and was yesterday being quizzed by detectives.

Within a few hours of the tragedy local residents had identified mum-of-two Melinda Korosi as the woman who had died, saying she had been a good neighbour, who was always “friendly and polite.”

One of her immediate neighbours echoed the shock that quickly gripped the community as news spread about the death of Miss Korosi, who had moved to Carlisle from Hungary.

The woman, herself a young mum, has lived in the cul-de-sac for two years.

“She was a lovely lady,” she said, explaining that Miss Korosi had lived in the corner of the cul-de-sac for about a year.

“She was quiet - we didn't see that much of her except when she was on her way to work at Domino's Pizzas.

"She kept herself to herself but she was nice.

“I was woken up this morning by the sound of the police arriving.

"It's absolutely awful because there are children living in the cul-de-sac. I have a boy aged five and a baby of six months.

“My little boy is traumatised – he can't settle.

“I've kept asking myself: what if I'd tried to help; maybe she'd still be here. I just keep thinking of that poor woman.”

In the nearby Bells off-licence and newsagents a stream of customers were talking of the tragedy.

One member of staff spoke for many as she said: “She was such a nice lady.

"She used come in here. If you saw her in the street she always spoke.

“She seemed a timid sort of person.

“She used to come in here and buy energy drinks.”

Throughout most of yesterday, the cul-de-sac where Miss Korosi had lived was cordoned off with blue and white police tape as uniformed officers stood guard outside her home.

Other officers made door to door enquiries.

Passer-by Caroline Woodbridge, 52, who has lived on the street for 18 years, said: “It's normally quiet round here. I'm in shock."

Joanne Hargreaves, 47, who works at the No19 Hair and Beauty salon on Orton Road, a short distance from Miss Korosi's home, said that the tragedy had left everybody in the community stunned.

She said: “It's quite scary to think that this has gone on near to where you live and work.

"It's so tragic that a young woman has died. It's just so very sad. Everybody knows everybody else, and they're friendly.

“We look after each other.”

Her colleague Rachel Pilmer, 30, said: "Everyone's in shock.”

Outside Cumbria Police's Carlisle headquarters on the Durranhill industrial estate, the city's most senior officer spoke about the investigation.

Superintendent Justin Bibby outlined how the tragedy came to light.

The alarm was raised at 6.02am yesterday when a call was made to police, prompting an emergency response.

Supt Bibby said: “We found a woman at the address in the cul-de-sac and she was in a critical condition. Tragically, she later died at the scene.

“There was a man in the house at the time and that man has been arrested and he is currently helping us with our inquiries.

“We can confirm that a man is in custody following the death of a 33-year-old woman this morning.

"At this stage we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

"We believe is it domestic related but our inquiries are at an early stage.”

Supt Bibby said that police were still trying to trace the woman's relatives and at the time he spoke a Home Office pathologist had yet to examine the woman's body.

He declined to confirm how the man arrested was linked to the woman but did say he was known to her.

Nor would he confirm the nature of the woman's injuries.

Supt Bibby went on to appeal for anybody who has relevant information to get in touch. “This is an awful set of circumstances,” he said.

“But incidents like this are really, really rare.

"We have officers deployed [in Orton Road] to provide support and reassurance to the community.

“Anyone who has any information whatsoever, even if they think it is not useful, please come and talk to us and tell us what it is.

"This is obviously a very tragic incident – one which would be shocking no matter where it occurred.

“We will be doing house to house inquiries – this is our most serious type of inquiry and we will do a significant amount of investigation.”

He said dozens of officers have been drafted in to help with the investigation.

Supt Bibby also said everything would be done to trace the dead woman's relatives as quickly as possible.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 and ask to speak to an officer from North Cumbria CID or, if necessary, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.