In at the deep end for Workington Town's new boys
Last updated at 09:45, Saturday, 18 February 2012
Workington Town’s three new recruits from Super League Hull KR will be plunged straight in to battle at Barrow Raiders tomorrow (2pm kick-off).
Robins’ first-team squad youngsters James Green, a prop, winger Nick Johnson and loose-forward Dave Petersen trained with Town’s squad for the first time on Thursday night, and coach Gary Charlton is keen to see them in match action.
“The quicker we integrate them, the better for the whole squad,” Charlton said. “They look fit and young Green is a big lump of a lad at 6ft 4 or 5 and around 18 stones, and mobile with it.
“Petersen looks like he’s got great hands and is more of a thinker, with a very good work-rate, and Johnson is well put-together for a winger. Short and stocky, he looks to have a lot of pace.
“We’ve seen them in training and will be able to make a better judgement three or four games down the line. They’ve given us a timely boost going in to the Northern Rail Cup. Our squad was skinny and we were happy to pick them up.
“The board did a great job to bring them in and hopefully the Workington public will get behind the team.
“In our play-off semi-final at Keighley last year we had 400 fans who made so much noise, the players grew another foot. The more of that the better.”
Charlton stressed that those who do not feature tomorrow will get a chance to stake a claim during the cup campaign.
Marc Shackley, Graeme Mattinson, Kris Coward and Jarrad Stack all return and ex-Maryport amateur Jonathan Dawes will also feature at Craven Park after turning pro this week following a successful trial.
“He looks to be a good acquisition and a proper centre,” Charlton added.
“He’s got good feet, is quick and can tackle. It’s going to be tough at Barrow and hopefully our pack will get on top. We then have a lot of good backs who can play off the back of it.”
First published at 08:55, Saturday, 18 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (12 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (29 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)