Bowden: Workington Town's last five games are all cup finals
Last updated at 11:21, Saturday, 16 July 2011
Chairman Dave Bowden has compared Workington Town’s last five league outings to cup clashes as the Championship One play-off race goes down to the wire.
Town dropped only one place to fourth in Championship One after last week’s 45-20 defeat at Rochdale. And Bowden is relishing the challenges ahead.
“We were all disappointed with our performance on Sunday, but the good news is that so many teams are taking points off each other that we have a chance to bounce back in our next game,” he said.
“It’s so competitive that teams around us will also have points taken off them. Every single game that’s left is our most important of the season when we come to it.
“There is so little to chose between any of the teams and it’s great to be there, it’s exciting. It’s almost like cup rugby now.”
Town have no game this weekend and next week welcome London Skolars before facing Oldham twice in their last four outings.
“We are expecting one of our most difficult games against London and that’s a compliment to the improvement they’ve made,” he added.
“As always, Oldham have come good in the latter part of the season, which is why they have been in so many finals.
“It’s going to be a fantastic run-in.
“Playing at home in a league this tight is a big advantage, while bonus points picked up away from home are also going to be important.”
Three of Town’s final five games are at Derwent Park.
Loose-forward Karl Olstrum has been charged with a Grade B offence for alleged use of the elbow in the 58th minute of the Rochdale game.
Prop Ruairi McGoff has been cautioned for a dangerous lift in the same match.
The caution will remain on his record and could be considered in the event of future disciplinary incidents.
First published at 09:00, Saturday, 16 July 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)