Distington win EB Lamb Amateur Cup after dramatic win over Ellenborough

Victors: Distington captain Sean Sutton holds the EB Lamb Amateur Cup aloft as he and his team-mates celebrate in style
Victors: Distington captain Sean Sutton holds the EB Lamb Amateur Cup aloft as he and his team-mates celebrate in style

Distington completed a trophy double when they won the EB Lamb Amateur Cup final.

But in a dramatic finish, they had to dig deep to beat Ellenborough 16-14 from the last kick of the match.

It took seven minutes for Ellenborough to get on the score-sheet when Luke Blaylock broke from his own 25 and sprinted down field. After drawing in the defenders, he passed to Kevin Hoban, who raced over the line.

Michael Hill added the extras to give Ellenborough a early 6-0 lead.

With 15 minutes on the clock came the try of the game. On the last tackle, Ellbenborough put in a kick across field which instead was gathered by Zac Olstrum, who ran the length of the field to score a brilliant individual try.

Hill’s kick was just wide but Ellenborough had a useful 10-point cushion.

Jonny Stoddart and Phil Flavell were immense for Ellenborough and the backs showed plenty of pace when they got the chance to run. Likewise, Distington’s Bryan Ritchie and Kieran Ritchie were solid in defence.

On 30 minutes, Distington’s Will Ritchie found himself sent to the sin bin following an altercation involving several players.

Although Ellenborough failed to capitalise on the extra man, they ended the half with a 10-0 lead.

Ellenborough came out in the second half as keenly as the first, and within three minutes had extended their lead to 14 points.

Hill put in a lovely kick across field to Olstrum who plunged over the line for his second try.

On 51 minutes, Distington scored their first points through prop Bryan Ritchie who dived over the whitewash and Clayton Sutton added the extras.

On 61 minutes, a further melee ensued which resulted in Distington’s Shaun Adams spending 10 minutes in the bin to cool down.

With play now moving from end to end, both teams had chances to score, and both had tries wiped-out by the referee.

But, with less than two minutes of the game remaining, Distington got the ball and moved it quickly for Ryan Hodgson to dive over the line. Sutton’s kick was wide.

Straight from the restart, Distington moved the ball well and with seconds remaining, Sutton put in a lovely cross field kick where Kelvin Lynch dived onto the ball to score.

The conversion was to win the cup and Sutton kept his cool and slotted the balll between the uprights to steal a victory. Ellenborough prop Jonny Stoddart was awarded man of the match.

For the second week in a row, Wath Brow scored a narrow victory over local rivals Kells.

This time it was 20-16 to earn them a home game this Saturday against Rochdale Mayfield in the latest stages of the National Conference Championship play-offs.

League winners Siddal will entertain second-placed Thatto Heath for the right to go straight to the final.

Wath Brow had started the best and by half-time had established a 10-0 lead courtesy of tries by Derry Eilbeck and Peter Caddy, the first of which was converted by Cole Walker-Taylor.

But Kells fought back really well and did enough to get their noses in front.

Hooker Troy Armstrong and prop Paul Cullnean both go over the Hornets line and the conversions by Grant Gainford had Kells ahead 12-10 with an hour gone.

Hooker Nathan Lucock was influential in the Hornets revival as he went on to earn the man of the match tag. Two tries inside three minutes handed them back the initiative with winger Greg Howland and second rower Jamie Devine going over, one converted by Walker-Taylor.

Time was running-out when Kells scored again a minute from the end with Craig Benson touching down for an unconverted try.

In the other play-off game, Rochdale Mayfield beat West Hull 28-6 to earn their trip to Wath Brow.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..