Tuesday, 01 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Struggling Penrith lose the battle at Waterloo

Penrith hoped to improve their situation in the lower reaches of the National Three North table on their trip to Waterloo.

But it proved to be a very poor day at the office as they went under 24-3.

To say they started badly was something of an understatement as they found themselves two tries and 14-0 down after only seven minutes.

In between the hosts missed a very kickable penalty and before 10 minutes had been played dropped a couple of scoring passes that would have buried the Cumbrian side completely.

After this abysmal opening Penrith did shake themselves into some sort of life and started to compete and when they did they were a match for their hosts.

They put together some attacks of their own and when they were able to retain possession for any length of time they looked the better side.

Unfortunately they made too many mistakes to build any lasting pressure. Never can so many balls have gone to ground in an afternoon, mostly from Penrith, although it was a cool winter afternoon and conditions were not that poor.

Penrith’s improved play did earn them a penalty shot and Steve Wood took the chance to drag them back into contention.

Waterloo replied with a penalty but as half time approached Penrith looked as if they were going to make a real go of it.

For a period they dominated play and looked as if they were going to make their hosts pay for missing their chances.

After building an attack through the phases Mike Raine broke through the middle and fed what was a scoring pass back inside only to see it go to ground.

As the half ended Penrith were camped on the home line where they had two five metre scrums and although they battered the line and were within inches of scoring they couldn’t quite breach a stubborn defence.

The second half was a pretty sterile affair when both sides had good periods but made too many mistakes to get properly on top.

Penrith could not put together enough decent play to haul themselves back into the reckoning and Waterloo were more than happy just to play the game out and take the win they had effectively secured in the opening minutes.

The only moment of note was the final play of the game as Penrith threw caution to the wind in an attempt to score a converted try which would at least earn them a losing bonus point.

It was not to be as they tried to run it out of their own 22 and the ball bounced invitingly into the home backs hands for a simple try.

The final try was of little importance but it did flatter the home side as for over 70 minutes Penrith played out a 3-3 draw.



Do you feel safe going to football matches?

1: Yes - there is hardly any trouble compared to the bad old days

2: No - sadly you will always get idiots who spoil if for rest

3: Depends - some clubs' fans are far worse than others

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: