West Cumbrian teens get BARLA Lions nod for Germany tour
Last updated at 12:38, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Four west Cumbrian teenagers have been named in the BARLA Emerging Lions squad to tour Germany next June.
Ellenborough pair Theerapol Ritson and Jason Todd are joined by Connor Wilson, of Flimby and Wath Brow’s Luke Davison.
“It’s a great development opportunity,” said Lions’ assistant coach Chris Fisher, from Glasson. “It gets them used to playing with other elite players outside their comfort zone.
“It develops them as young men as much as it does rugby players, and it’s also a good stepping stone to take them to the next level.”
Back-row Wilson’s call-up was no surprise after producing man of the match efforts in the autumn for Cumbria and the Lions against Aussie tourists Central Coast Centurions, and more big performances in the Under-17 county championship.
Todd was initially not chosen at hooker for the championship but played himself in to a Lions’ call-up after an injury to a team-mate.
Centre Davison showed his class with a two-try man-of-the-match effort for Cumbria against Lancashire, and an outstanding performance against Yorkshire earned Ritson his place on the Germany tour, despite missing the Lancashire clash due to injury.
“He has kept the likes of Curtis Hampson, son of Steve Hampson, out of the full-back spot so credit to him,” Fisher added.
First published at 11:54, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- New manager Keith Curle sets out plan to save Carlisle Utd (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (16 comments)
- Cumbria police probe after cats poisoned (3 comments)
- Lack of rain means Cumbria facing driest September in 30 years (4 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (55 comments)