Saturday, 28 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Kells score at death to edge out Maryport

Kells almost suffered their first defeat of the season in Division One of the Iggesund Cumberland Amateur Rugby League.

Maryport, beaten by Kells last week in the semi-final of the SJR Cumberland Cup, were within seconds of a dramatic win at the Athletic Ground.

But never-say-die Kells scored the winning try right at the death to record a 26-24 victory.

Tight throughout, the sides were level 12-12 at the break, but Maryport looked to have done enough as they opened-up a lead.

Andrew Patterson (2), Craig Foster, Tony Nicholson and Marc Walker scored the Maryport tries with Walker kicking two goals.

Karl Schofield scored the winning try for Kells with just eight seconds left on the clock and although the conversion was missed the Copeland side had sneaked home.

Craig Benson (2), Barry Boyd and Martin O’Neill went in for the other Kells tries with Ross Gainford landing three goals.

Kells coach Peter Smith said: “We haven’t lost a League or Cup game this season so this was a kick up the backside for us, coming at the right time when we have a Cup final on Friday night.”

Distington still lead the way in Division One and they had little trouble in disposing of Cockermouth 58-6.

The villagers were ahead 30-6 at the break and virtually doubled their tally in the second-half, finishing with eleven tries.

Nicky Cook led the way with a hat-trick and Luke Penrice notched a double while there were other touchdowns for Troy Armstrong, Stephen Conway, Sean Sutton, Tyrone Dalton, Aiden Worthington and James Motum. Scott George landed seven conversions.

Cockermouth’s first-half try was scored by Lee Burns with Jack Clark tacking on the conversion.

After 11 straight defeats in the league, Hensingham at last notched a win when they beat Broughton Red Rose 16-12.

Red Rose are just above Hensingham in the table, lying third bottom with three wins to their name and they came close to salvaging something from this one.

They were virtually camped on the Hensingham line for the last 12 minutes but the home side did enough to register that elusive win.

Dean Laverick, Curtis Patterson and Andrew Middleton scored the tries for Hensingham with Laverick adding two conversions.

The Red Rose tries came from Scott Williams and Johnston Stoddart. Eddie Robinson tacked on the conversion.

It was a good weekend for the bottom two as Seaton A, the only side below Hensingham, got their second win – a narrow 26-24 victory over Glasson Rangers.

Seaton A led 18-10 at half-time and just repelled a Glasson fight-back to hang on for the win.

Brett Symes (2), Duncan Moyle (2) and Kevin Spears scored the Seaton tries with Moyle adding three goals.

Glasson, who have a stack of injuries at present, scored tries through Matthew Burns (2), Greg Rowley Nathan Lucock and Brad Nixon. Tom Dixon kicked two goals. Defeat was a major blow to their top four prospects.

The game between Wath Brow and Seaton Rangers will be played on Tuesday.

In the semi-final of the Dale Campbell Savours Cup, Division Two leaders Flimby beat neighbours Ellenborough 31-18, pulling clear in the second-half.

They had led 12-10 at half-time with the young Ellenborough side very much in contention but Flimby finished the stronger.

The Flimby tries came from John Todd (2), Gary McGraffin, Ryan Williams and Ricky Holt with Holt kicking five goals and Andrew Pearce landing a drop goal.

Andrew Ostle, Simon Pattinson, Tony Herald and Kevin Hoban scored the Elbra tries with David Miller kicking a goal.

Only one game was played in Division Two as injury-hit Glasson couldn’t raise a second team to host Egremont while Frizington cried-off their trip to Kells A.

In the one League game that was played Aspatria moved to within two points of joint leaders Flimby and Clifton when they beat Lowca 64-16.

The Hornets led 24-12 at half-time but were completely dominant after the change-round, cruising to a comfortable win.

The Aspatria tries came from Kenneth Bowes (3), Allan Douglas (2), Willie Miller (2), Mark Irwin (2), Tom Gardner, Paul Cuthell, Stuart Reynolds and Richard Holliday. Luke Johnson kicked five goals and Stuart Creighton also put one over.

For Lowca there were tries from Craig Halligan (2) and Callum Sirkett. Keith Campbell kicked two goals.



Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: