Cockermouth's Shaun Mumberson wins BARLA Young Lions tour accolade
Last updated at 12:23, Wednesday, 04 July 2012
Cockermouth Titans starlet Shaun Mumberson was named man of the tournament as BARLA Emerging Young Lions claimed the Pradavice Rugby League 9s title in blistering heat in the Czech Republic.
The youngsters beat three open age sides on the way to the final, Mumberson touching down in their opening 46-0 win over Purple Jets.
Connor Holliday, of Kells, crossed in the 28-6 victory over Purple Jets and added a brace in the last qualifying game, a 34-0 whitewash of Harlequins, man-of-the-match Mumberson also crossing.
Holliday maintained his great form in the final, claiming a hat-trick and the man-of-the-match award in the 24-6 win over Green Jets.
Cockermouth’s Matty Henson and Ben Milburn, of Kells, went on to touch down in the 98-0 demolition of the Czech Republic Students in the final game of the week-long tour, Milburn adding four goals, with skipper Charlie Tomlinson, of Wath Brow, again at stand-off.
Assistant coach Chris Fisher, the Glasson No2, hailed the trip a great success.
He said: “Chucky [Tomlinson] led from the front and played in both Test matches, and Shaun Mumberson was absolutely outstanding. The 9s were played in 102 degrees, and there were some really good efforts.
“The Czech guys now know where they need to be, to be competitive.”
First published at 11:30, Wednesday, 04 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)