Workington Reds boss praises striker Jonny Wright
Last updated at 11:41, Monday, 20 August 2012
Darren Edmondson lavished praise on star man Jonny Wright after the striker’s stunning performance helped Workington Reds to a 4-1 triumph over Stalybridge Celtic.
The victory was Workington’s biggest opening day triumph since hammering Matlock 4-0 in the Unibond Premier eight years ago. It was also the first time Reds have scored four in a match for 18 months.
Wright scored one, created another, and caused major problems for the visitors’ defence.
Workington’s talisman tormented defender Joel Bembo-Leta, causing him to gift one goal and concede a penalty.
Edmondson still has concerns over his front man’s persistent back problems, but said: “He’s a handful and when he’s mobile, it was nearly the Jonny of two years ago, but we have to be careful with him. I have tried to bring another centre forward in for cover, because we will have to nurse Jonny.”
Edmondson also praised goalkeeper Aaran Taylor. He said: “I was gutted when Carlisle sneaked in and took Aaran on trial because he’s outstanding.
“He had a couple of games pre-season when his head wasn’t in the right place, but when he’s switched on, he’s one of the best in this league.”
First published at 11:31, Monday, 20 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Go-ahead for superfast broadband roll-out across Cumbria (27 comments)
- Angry Cumbrian MP and council leader write to David Cameron about Sellafield deal (7 comments)
- Struggling M&S failing to impress Carlisle shoppers (2 comments)
- Cumbrian big cat had been spotted before - claim (2 comments)
- Bookies don't fancy Carlisle Utd for next season's League One title (5 comments)
- Religious leaders claim Carlisle club's name offensive (72 comments)
- Damning report reveals distressing scenes at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (72 comments)
- Crime panel raps 'inconsistent' Cumbria police commissioner (39 comments)
- Cumbrian beauty spot failing to pay its way (34 comments)
- Carlisle United must respond if this Celtic Nation grows (23 comments)