Workington Reds boss apologises for FA Trophy shock defeat
Last updated at 11:47, Monday, 12 November 2012
Workington Reds boss Darren Edmondson issued an apology to the travelling fans who endured the embarrassing 2-1 defeat to non-league minnows Ossett Town.
The 60 supporters that saw Workington dumped out of the FA Trophy let their frustration heard at full time, booing the players off the pitch.
Edmondson, 41, admitted he was surprised by the reaction following recent impressive performances, but took full responsibility for the loss.
“We let the fans down, I apologise to them,” he said.
“I take soul responsibility. The book stops with me, and I hold my hands up and admit I didn’t motivate properly.
“Because of the performances we’ve had, I thought the booing was unjust, but if you’re paying good money when times are hard, you have the right to have your say.
“I was surprised by the reaction, but we have to take it, and if you’re not man enough to take it, you shouldn’t be playing.”
Jonny Wright opened the scoring, but two goals after the break, saw Reds kicked out.
Edmondson denied he took Ossett lightly, and added: “I never take any opposition lightly, you can’t underestimate teams.
“I take full responsibility, because as leader as this bunch of players, I am the motivator.
“There was up to four players underestimated Ossett, and we fell foul of that.”
Edmondson was criticised for making changes to the starting XI, with Will Vaulks, Gari Rowntree and David Hewson all on the bench.
“David has a knee injury,” said Edmondson.
“So if I make changes, it’s for the right reasons.
“Anthony Wright and Lee Andrews have played 400 games at this level.
“We have a squad, and we had enough talent on the pitch to win that match.
“But if players go into the game with the wrong attitude, then cup upsets happen.”
First published at 11:44, Monday, 12 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tributes to Carlisle woman who died days after her 26th birthday (21 comments)
- Shop to close after 30 years in Carlisle city centre
- Google erases link to News & Star article under ‘right to be forgotten’ (30 comments)
- North Cumbrian brewery goes into administration
- Two suffer 'serious' injuries in A66 crash