Poor defending sees Workington Reds slide to another defeat
Last updated at 12:14, Monday, 11 February 2013
Poor defending was to blame as Workington Reds’ patchy home form continued with defeat to Oxford City.
Boss Darren Edmondson bemoaned his side’s lack of communication at the back as first a deflected shot, and then a near-post finish helped gifted the visitors all three points.
“The shot was going nowhere, but takes a deflection and goes in,” said Edmondson.
“It always happens to us, but strikers must be closed down sooner.
“And if we can’t close them down, we must try and show them away from goal.
“It was poor defending, and a lack of communication didn’t help. Both goals could have been prevented. And we have to ask questions about what we do in our own penalty area.”
Edmondson believes his side deserved to scrape a draw, and added: “There was no tempo to our game.
“We should have gotten something from the game. We had the chances at the end, but Gareth couldn’t find the net.
“We moved the ball well in the last 15 minutes.
“Joe McGee and Mark Boyd helped us to create chances. We got down the wings well, and got in good areas.
“We just need to believe in ourselves. We will create chances. We always do.
“It’s disappointed, we did enough to get something from the game.”
Jonny Wright scored Workington’s goal five minutes from time, but it came after City netted either side of the break. Reds are without a home win in six matches, and remain seven points off the relegation zone. The last time Reds won at home was against struggling Droylsden on October 30.
First published at 12:12, Monday, 11 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2014-15
- Evo-Stik Premier 2014-15
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)