Tuesday, 01 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Workington Reds’ first pre-season run-out ends in defeat at Barrow

Barrow 3 Workington Reds 0: A young, inexperienced Workington Reds lost 3-0 to Barrow last night in their first outing of pre-season.

Workington Reds photo
Dave Hewson is stopped by Barrow's Adam Boyes

A host of new players swelled Darren Edmondson’s ranks with Aaran Taylor starting in goal.

The shot-stopper is on trial with Carlisle United, but began between the sticks with young ‘keeper Stu Dixon on the bench.

Dixon, 20, will be kept on during pre-season in case Taylor is picked up at Brunton Park, and had spells with Queen of the South and Barrow.

Starting for Workington was Niall Cowperthwaite, Chris Wraighte, Zach Clark and big striker Callum Hassan.

While fellow new boys David Renyard, Phil Storey and experienced former Darlington winger Neil Wainwright on the bench.

Boss Edmondson said the match was an decent early tester for his side, as goals from Matt Flynn and two trialists sealed the match for the Bluebirds.

For Barrow, the win in the first leg of the Chas Kendall Trophy made it successive friendly victories. AFC manager Dave Bayliss used a total of 21 players, running the rule over 11 trialists, including midfielder Alex-Ray Harvey, Holker Old Boys winger Dave Swarbrick and former Wrexham striker Obi Anoruo.

Barrow survived an early scare when, after Danny Hurst saved an acrobatic effort from Workington captain David Hewson, traillist Clark, who has scored goals for fun in Ambleside United colours, smashed the rebound against the crossbar.

The Bluebirds then began to dominate and took the lead on 10 minutes when the visitors failed to clear a corner and right back Matt Flynn crashed the ball in off the underside of the crossbar from 10 yards.

With midfielder Richie Baker influencing play from an advanced role in behind lone striker Adam Boyes and the energetic Flynn bombing forward, the hosts continued to dictate proceedings.

Workington – who fielded Cowperthwaite, the son of Barrow legend Colin, at right back and Crooklands Casuals winger Wraighte – grew into the match and Clark looked set to equalise until a superb last-ditch sliding tackle by Flynn.

Shortly after, Reds winger Jake Simpson fizzed in a long-range shot which Hurst turned away to safety.

Both Edmondson and his Barrow counterpart rung the changes at half-time and fielded almost entirely different teams in the second half, with the visitors even donning a change of kit.

The Bluebirds came out of the traps strongly and scored a second goal just three minutes after the restart when an impressive central midfield trialist wearing number 18, rumoured to be ex-Morecambe man Garry Hunter, fired a stunning 30-yard half-volley into the top corner.

Barrow extended their lead on 52 minutes when a trialist finished neatly from close range.

Some late tackles from players on both sides followed as the derby got tetchy, with Phil Storey booked for Workington in the closing stages.

Further chances were at a premium in the second half, though Ryan Hall went close for the Reds.

Workington: Aaran Taylor, Niall Cowperthwaite, Gari Rowntree, Lee Andrews, Dan Wordsworth, Mark Boyd, Jake Simpson, David Hewson, Zach Clark, Callum Hussain, Chris Wraighte. Subs used: Stu Dixon, Kyle May, Jonny Wright, Anthony Wright, Mark Sloan, David Renyard, Phil Storey, Ryan Hall, Jake Smith, Sam Smith, Stefan Scott, Neil Wainwright.

Attendance: 244.



Will a new tattoo studio in Carlisle persuade you to get a tattoo?

Yes - I might be tempted

No - I don't like tattoos

I would rather go to a more established studio

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: