Whitehaven start as underdogs against Dewsbury
Last updated at 12:02, Saturday, 23 February 2013
Whitehaven have no room for error at Dewsbury tomorrow, warned boss Dave Woods.
The Rams are flying high with seven points from their opening three outings and the Haven coach reckons his side will be underdogs in Yorkshire (3pm kick-off).
“Dewsbury are a big, strong, tough side, with some good experience,” he said. “They are the type of side you can’t afford to make mistakes against.
“They have played pretty well in a few of their games, and we can’t go down there thinking we are favourites, because if we do, they will destroy us.
“The form they are in, they should be favourites. But if we go down with the right determination, we can come away with the win.”
Skipper Lee Doran, who has missed the last two matches with a shoulder/chest injury, featured in an informal run-out against Egremont Rangers on Wednesday night.
The Haven players yet to play this term were among those to feature against the top amateur outfit.
“We achieved what we wanted to achieve,” Woods added. “A couple did quite well but it is a waiting game. They have to really jump out and show they deserve the spot, rather than wait for someone to get injured or lose form.”
Doran could feature tomorrow if he emerges unscathed from the midweek outing, but Haven are set to travel to Dewsbury without any players from Super League partners St Helens.
“We have a pretty fit bunch at the moment and no one is injured,” Woods said.
Dewsbury’s only league defeat to date came by just two points to title favourites Featherstone, who visit the Recre next week.
First published at 11:42, Saturday, 23 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (66 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (84 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (58 comments)