Whitehaven coach hails players' 'gutsy' efforts at Keighley
Last updated at 12:16, Monday, 11 February 2013
Dave Woods hailed Whitehaven’s flying start to the Championship campaign after they pulled off a hard-fought 16-12 win at Keighley Cougars yesterday.
Promoted Haven had to dig deep to return home with maximum points from their first away trip of the season, following last week’s home victory against York.
“At the start of the year, if you had said we would be two from two, we would have jumped on it, and grabbed it with open arms,” the coach said.
“It was a great, gutsy effort today. Defensively, I thought the boys were outstanding and showed a lot of character, toughness and resilience. The forward pack was tremendous.”
Woods is not getting carried away however and warned there was more to come in attack from his team after struggling at times to break down the Cougars.
“We got down to their 40 and seemed to lose all composure and idea. We have some real smart players, but that is leaving us a little unstuck at the moment,” added Woods, whose decision to take winger former Great Britain winger Ade Gardner and leading prospect Anthony Walker on dual registration from St Helens paid off.
Gardner created a try with a pacy burst and Walker stood out with some bruising hits.
Woods said: “Ade Gardner is an international and the way he flew down the touchline and threw the ball back on the inside was great for us. The boys were a little in awe of him and a little quiet around him.
“Ant Walker is a young fella whose line speed is tremendous, and some of his contact was really good.
“They’ve ha d a good St Helens grounding. It worked well for us today, we will see how it goes for the rest of the weeks.”
First published at 12:11, Monday, 11 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)