St Helens players go straight into Whitehaven line-up
Last updated at 11:40, Saturday, 15 February 2014
St Helens prop Jordan Hand and Cumbrian winger Ade Gardner will go straight into the Whitehaven squad that travels to take on Keighley Cougars tomorrow.
Neither player is a stranger to the Haven ranks, having turned out for the Recre outfit last season. And Gardner could reach a memorable landmark at Cougars, as his current career try-count stands at 199.
“Ade and Jordan will definitely play tomorrow and I have a full squad to select from apart from Shaun Ainscough who has one match of his ban to serve,” said coach Dave Woods.
“We have to get off to a flying start with the new structuring of the Championship but we have a tough month ahead. We need points early on.
“Keighley always play better with Paul March in their ranks.
“They have some big forwards and some smart half-backs. It’s going to be tough.”
After the visit to West Yorkshire tomorrow, Haven entertain North Wales Crusaders, before away days at Leigh Centurions and Dewsbury Rams.
But the Haven coach is happy with his squad, and added: “We’ll rely on our strong links with St Helens and we aren’t actively looking for new players.
“However, if a player becomes available, we’ll take a look at him.”
Meanwhile, club stalwart Craig Calvert is poised to make his 250th career appearance tomorrow. 245 of those games have been for Whitehaven (and four for Cumbria) and the flying winger is only two tries short of a tremendous 200 career tries.
First published at 11:09, Saturday, 15 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- South Lakes hockey women stride ahead
- Helicopter rescue from South Lakes fell cost £24k (20 comments)
- Who are those girls with the giant trophy?
- Special sales
- Coalition in 1910 style
- Pumping station in Lakeland
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- FOOD REVIEW: La’l Churrasco, Ulverston (2 comments)
- Would-be leader Yvette's local links
- Barrow couple win £1m (15 comments)
- Kingfisher was bolt from blue
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- North Lancs and Cumbria Cricket League season preview
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Cryptic Crossword 10,928
- Motorcyclist dies in A595 crash
- ‘Barrow should be twinned’ (13 comments)
- Wooden pods to temptcampers