Shane Ackerley pushing for Whitehaven RL start
Last updated at 13:07, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
Young full-back Shane Ackerley warned he wants to muscle in on Whitehaven’s league campaign after an impressive season’s debut against Barrow.
The Recre product finally earned a weekend call-up against the Raiders after being close to selection in the previous two games. And he believes he did his hopes of keeping the shirt no harm ahead of the Championship One opener at Doncaster on Sunday.
“I had to take my chance and thought I did really well,” said Ackerley. “I’m training all the time and I am the fittest I’ve ever been.
“The scoreboard didn’t reflect the game and how we all gave 100 per cent. All the lads are gelling and we just have to kick on now. We are improving week by week and the lads are giving their all in training. There’s a good buzz around them.”
Ackerley, recently linked with a loan move to Gateshead Thunder, moved up the pecking order after Craig Benson left the club.,
“He is like a heart with arms and legs,” said Gailer. “He had a go.”
Ackerley is now in competition with ex-Widnes man Jonny Youds for the full-back role.
Skipper Lee Doran will miss the trip to the Keepmoat after taking an early guilty plea over a punching charge. He was caught up in a big bust-up in last week’s west Cumbrian derby at Workington.
If Doran had contested the charge and been found guilty, he could have faced a two-match ban.
First published at 11:29, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (11 comments)
- Carlisle woman voted third most influential black person (6 comments)
- Family pay tribute to Carlisle railway line victim (14 comments)
- Objections raised over plans for 190 homes in Carlisle (5 comments)
- Stagecoach offers half-price deals on weekly bus tickets (17 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (86 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (60 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (82 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (28 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)