Oldham Roughyeds looking for 'lucky break' against Whitehaven
Last updated at 12:35, Wednesday, 27 June 2012
Struggling Oldham must win their last seven games to stay in the Championship One promotion race – starting at Whitehaven on Sunday – according to coach Tony Benson.
The Roughyeds launched the league season in sparkling form with a win at Workington Town, but while Haven’s form has picked up mid-season, Oldham have slumped.
And their derby defeat to Rochdale at Whitebank last weekend was their sixth league loss in a row, leading to the Hornets taking over fifth place.
Now Benson has warned Oldham cannot afford any more slip-ups.
“I have faith in the squad, and if we can get a couple of players in I still feel we are capable of going up,” he said. “I honestly feel we can still do it, though we can’t afford to lose another game. We just need a lucky break for a change.”
Oldham face a stiff task as they must still play the top four sides in the run-in to the end of the season.
In a tough August schedule they travel to Barrow before hosting Doncaster and Workington, who are all vying for the title.
Before those formidable fixtures, they entertain London Skolars and South Wales, and in their final outing travel to bottom club Gateshead. But unless they pick up significantly, their promotion hopes will by then have been extinguished.
Benson admitted he felt “physically sick” after the 30-4 reverse to Rochdale.
He added: “I feel for everyone at the club. I would give my right arm to turn this round because that’s how important it is to me.
“Not only I, but my wife and small son have been devastated over the last few weeks. I’m Oldham through and through.”
First published at 11:25, Wednesday, 27 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss attacks 'weak' players who don't deserve to be professionals (83 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (56 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)