Grand Final will be a career highlight says Wath Brow ace
Last updated at 12:35, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Wath Brow Hornets veteran Leroy Joe reckons an appearance against Myton Warriors in Sunday’s National Conference League Grand Final will be one of the highlights of his long career.
The 37-year-old former Recre favourite is set to be the oldest player in the showpiece, at Widnes, scene of Whitehaven’s Grand Final defeat against Leigh in 2004, in which he featured.
And there is likely to be little between the amateur rivals after both their league clashes this term ended in deadlock.
“I’ve loved playing among such a talented set of young players, and making the final is a huge honour,” said Joe, who has played a major role for the Hornets this term.
“No one gave us a chance this year, but we’ve gone quietly about our business and we deserve our place in the final. Sunday will be up there with the biggest achievements in my career, no doubt, win or lose.”
Wath Brow finished top of the Premier Division table this term and earned their place in the final with an 18-12 semi-final win over Siddal, who then went down 23-22 to Myton in an epic semi-final.
The Hornets will select from a squad of 22, with Jamie Martin, who missed their last outing due to injury, available once again, along with Paul Murphy, who made a fine start to the campaign but has been out for eight weeks with a sternum injury.
“We are pretty much at full strength,” said coach Ian Rooney.
While the Cumbrians were crowned Minor Premiers this term, top-flight newcomers Myton confounded the pundits to finish third.
First published at 12:32, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss attacks 'weak' players who don't deserve to be professionals (83 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (56 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)