Whitehaven RL youngster signs new one-year deal with club
Last updated at 13:03, Wednesday, 20 October 2010
In-demand prospect Danny Barker has repaid Whitehaven’s faith by staying loyal to the club and penning a new one-year contract.
The 21-year-old back-rower was one of Haven’s success stories in a dire season for the club, making 18 first-team appearances, culminating in a late drop-goal at Keighley in their penultimate game that ended a 13-match losing streak.
“They’ve been good to me since I was 13, through the scholarship and Academy, and gave me the chance to break in to the first-team last season,” Barker said.
“I had been given chances in the past and not taken them, but last year I got my act together.
“I needed to grow up and was at the stage where I made it in the first-team or wasn’t going to make it at all. I got my head down.
“It’s more about loyalty than anything else. I thought it was the right time to sign.”
Barker, from Maryport, spoke to Workington Town before penning his new deal and was made an offer.He admitted: “I was tempted but there are times when you have to put that to one side and look at your priorities.”
Haven have lost a handful of players since relegation and administration, but Barker is looking on the bright side.
“We have lost a couple of lads, but we may gain in other places,” he added. “We have a good Academy side coming through and there’s nothing to say those lads, given an opportunity, can’t take their chance.
“It will be tough next year with a nine-point deduction, but hopefully the lads will gel quickly, we can get a few wins under our belts and take it from there.”
First published at 11:38, Wednesday, 20 October 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (47 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (44 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)