Whitehaven RL youngster signs new one-year deal with club
Last updated at 13:03, Wednesday, 20 October 2010
In-demand prospect Danny Barker has repaid Whitehaven’s faith by staying loyal to the club and penning a new one-year contract.
The 21-year-old back-rower was one of Haven’s success stories in a dire season for the club, making 18 first-team appearances, culminating in a late drop-goal at Keighley in their penultimate game that ended a 13-match losing streak.
“They’ve been good to me since I was 13, through the scholarship and Academy, and gave me the chance to break in to the first-team last season,” Barker said.
“I had been given chances in the past and not taken them, but last year I got my act together.
“I needed to grow up and was at the stage where I made it in the first-team or wasn’t going to make it at all. I got my head down.
“It’s more about loyalty than anything else. I thought it was the right time to sign.”
Barker, from Maryport, spoke to Workington Town before penning his new deal and was made an offer.He admitted: “I was tempted but there are times when you have to put that to one side and look at your priorities.”
Haven have lost a handful of players since relegation and administration, but Barker is looking on the bright side.
“We have lost a couple of lads, but we may gain in other places,” he added. “We have a good Academy side coming through and there’s nothing to say those lads, given an opportunity, can’t take their chance.
“It will be tough next year with a nine-point deduction, but hopefully the lads will gel quickly, we can get a few wins under our belts and take it from there.”
First published at 11:38, Wednesday, 20 October 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- 'We want hospital we were promised', MP tells 4,000-strong health rally (21 comments)
- Nightclub to close; owner wants to build flats on site (4 comments)
- New bridge set to be built between Currock and Denton Holme (27 comments)
- Supermarket car wash damaged my car, claims Cumbrian man (30 comments)
- 200 sign petition to stop Carlisle Civic Centre being demolished (47 comments)