Carl Sice on verge of setting Whitehaven forward record
Last updated at 12:41, Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Carl Sice is on the verge of becoming the most prolific forward in Whitehaven’s 64-year history.
The elusive No 9 has crossed 84 times for Haven, just four less than Aaron Lester, rated by many as the Recre’s greatest ever hooker.
And he is tipped to soon overtake the Kiwi as he closes in on the century mark.
“Carl’s been a great player for Whitehaven and has plenty of years left in the game,” said chief executive Barry Richardson.
“I hope he’s part of our side in the Championship next year. He can score tries and make breaks out of nothing.
“He has also matured as a person over the last couple of years and this year his attitude has been fantastic.
“If there’s any work to be done in local schools, he’s one of those who puts his hand up. He’s more than keen to help.”
Sice, who has crossed six times in 13 appearances this term, sits eighth on the club’s all-time try-scoring list and should overtake Lester’s tally this season. And just turned 32, he could have a few seasons left in the pro ranks to improve his position further.
The ex-Kells ace is just 11 tries adrift of Lee Kiddie and 25 behind Leroy Joe, fifth on the ladder. Joe moved into the pack late in his career but enjoyed his best years at stand-off, from where he plundered most of his tries.
“Carl can pull out the unexpected when necessary,” added Richardson.
David Seeds, who went on to coach the side last term, tops the list on 225 tries, ahead of current favourite Craig Calvert, 164, the late Bill Smith on 147 and former international Vince Gribbin, 142.
First published at 11:28, Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle venue defends promotion of top comic's show after low turn-out (29 comments)
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (10 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- Parks ban would make smokers outcasts in society, says senior Carlisle councillor (13 comments)