Rusty Harrison quits Workington Comets speedway team
Last updated at 11:38, Monday, 02 July 2012
Rusty Harrison has sensationally quit Workington Comets.
The popular Aussie – second in Comets’ all-time appearance list – announced his decision following Workington’s home match with Newcastle on Saturday and handed his race jacket back.
Harrison had discovered some of his best form over the last couple of campaign but endured an inconsistent start to this season.
Harrison, who works for M-Sport, said: “I am finding it too hard to do a full time job, take care of my family as well as riding speedway. I want to thank everybody for their support over the years.”
In the short term Workington will apply to the British Speedway Promoters Association for the use of rider replacement as Harrison is “deemed to be withholding his services”
Owner Keith Denham said: “We had to go and get Rusty out of the changing rooms before heat 15.
“He has handed his race jacket back in and quit the club so we have got to try and find a new rider.”
Comets will be able to sign a rider up to an average of 7.20.
Comets took two points in a 48-44 victory over Newcastle despite being 10 points at one stage, in a contest marred by a crash that saw two Diamonds taken to hospital.
First published at 11:25, Monday, 02 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)