Alas, if only Chuckles Mulroy was real
Last updated at 13:41, Monday, 13 February 2012
Reiver has lamented the lack of famous Cumbrian comedians. But that was before he heard about Chuckles Mulroy.
Mulroy featured in a BBC4 documentary called Cricklewood Greats. This saw comic actor Peter Capaldi tell the forgotten story of Cricklewood Film Studios.
Capaldi explained that the studios were founded by Arthur Sim from Morecambe. We saw a rare 1920s clip of Sim and a fellow comedian... Chuckles Mulroy from Carlisle. That’s right – we had stumbled upon a long-lost Cumbrian comedian.
Capaldi went on to tell tragic tales of the Cricklwood greats. Their fates included being blown up in a stunt that went wrong. He tenderly held the battered bowler hat: a tragic memento.
One star had his bushy eyebrows insured for the princely sum of £100. Another became the sweetheart of 1930s British cinema, until she began making Nazi propaganda films.
Some of this seemed rather odd. The penny finally dropped when Capaldi visited the site of the old studios – now a branch of Wickes – and earnestly relived the glory days as shoppers trundled past with their trolleys.
Cricklewood Greats was a spoof. There was no Cricklewood Film Studios. And there was no Chuckles Mulroy.
The long wait for a Cumbrian comedy star goes on.
First published at 11:25, Monday, 13 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)