Nothing like a bit of support for Roy Hodgson
Last updated at 13:16, Thursday, 03 May 2012
There's nothing like giving someone the benefit of the doubt and allowing them the chance to find their feet and prove their worth.
And The Sun has certainly done nowt like that with the new England manager Roy Hodgson.
While other national newspapers pointed to his experience and intelligence, the nation’s biggest selling daily paper decided to use its front page to mock the fact that Hodgson turns his ‘r’s into ‘w’s like Jonathan Ross.
So what if Hodgson happens to speak five languages, has managed in eight countries and won 11 titles or trophies?
The national papers, especially the tabloids, wanted to see Harry Redknapp installed. Not because he has perfect vowels and crisp consonants. Because he hasn’t. Has he? No, they wanted ‘our ’Arry’ because he is mates with all the London-based football writers.
Hodgson’s not photogenic like Jose Mourinho or Roberto Mancini, he hasn’t got the mateyness of Redknapp or Venables, nor the character of Dalglish or Alex Ferguson.
But of all the England managers, he’s the only one with actual experience in international management.
He took Switzerland to the World Cup finals in 1994, beating Italy and qualifying the team for Euro ’96.
Apart from his time at Liverpool, he’s had amazing success with other underperforming teams – which is perfect for our national side.
It isn’t the manager we should worry about, it’s the 11 people who go on the pitch and consistently let the country down.
I hope Roy proves The Sun has made an ‘r’s of itself.
First published at 11:29, Thursday, 03 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|