Give me the full fat option
Published at 16:51, Thursday, 07 February 2013
After years of being told butter is bad, veg oil is good and low-fat spreads make us healthier, apparently it’s all wrong.
The latest study reveals that margarines, olive oil spreads and the rest are not always the healthy option we’ve been repeatedly told they are.
Millions of us worried about saturated fats have dumped butter for low-fat spreads, margarine and olive-based products, hoping to ease the strain on the heart and reduce their intake of calories.
But a survey by Consumers Association Which? of more than 100 spreads has found some of those that we think are helping our hearts and lowering our calorie intake actually have high levels of dangerous trans fats.
One nutritionist criticised one own label margarine from Somerfield saying “it should come with a health warning”.
Another popular olive oil spread – sold by M&S – was found to contain four per cent of the oil.
I’ve never been a fan. I don’t like the idea of eating something that has been cooked up in a laboratory and involves ingredients that sound like characters from a zombie movie.
I have butter on my toast, crumpets, muffins and baked potatoes.
It goes in my mashed spuds, risottos, pasta sauces and sometimes gravy.
It’s never very much and it’s not every day.
But at least I know it’s only come from a cow.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (6 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (75 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (51 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (100 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (96 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (60 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Full steam ahead to railway expo
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- It’s still been a good season (2 comments)
- Library opening times
- Football fans’ charity match for pal Tommy
- Thommo backing Mo Farah for glory
- Mackie’s magic
- Double delight for Cons boys
- Freaks and trolls take to streets
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Foot of ice on the lake
- Police hunt woman who touched boy in Barrow street
- Cruel prank leaves Cumbrian pensioner badly injured
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- BARROW RL GREATS: Paddy McAteer picks his best West Cumbrian 17 (1 comment)
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- Baby injured in Cumbria horror smash
- BARROW RL GREATS: Paddy McAteer picks his best local 17 (8 comments)