Are they digging their own graves?
Last updated at 12:05, Thursday, 10 March 2011
Almost daily now we get a new announcement about the latest cuts and savings to be made by local authorities in Cumbria.
Rural bus services here, CCTV camera monitoring there, children’s services here, sampling swimming pool water, locking up play areas at night, checking the equipment is safe... even the number of flowers in the displays are being cut back!
You never know, the Swedish minimalist Wallander-style approach of just one daffodil in a flowerbed might just start a new trend and win us a Britain In Bloom award or two.
It seems that no aspect of our daily lives is unaffected by the drive to cut and save.
You can’t escape them, even in death.
Carlisle City Council has just announced it will no longer staff funerals.
And the authority will no longer sell the biodegradable coffins that they pioneered years ago so the eco-minded in spirit as well as body could use them for woodland burials.
So there you go... death, taxes and council cuts, you can’t escape ‘em.
Next plan will see us all being issued with shovels so we can dig our own holes as well.
First published at 11:25, Thursday, 10 March 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|