Are they digging their own graves?
Last updated at 12:05, Thursday, 10 March 2011
Almost daily now we get a new announcement about the latest cuts and savings to be made by local authorities in Cumbria.
Rural bus services here, CCTV camera monitoring there, children’s services here, sampling swimming pool water, locking up play areas at night, checking the equipment is safe... even the number of flowers in the displays are being cut back!
You never know, the Swedish minimalist Wallander-style approach of just one daffodil in a flowerbed might just start a new trend and win us a Britain In Bloom award or two.
It seems that no aspect of our daily lives is unaffected by the drive to cut and save.
You can’t escape them, even in death.
Carlisle City Council has just announced it will no longer staff funerals.
And the authority will no longer sell the biodegradable coffins that they pioneered years ago so the eco-minded in spirit as well as body could use them for woodland burials.
So there you go... death, taxes and council cuts, you can’t escape ‘em.
Next plan will see us all being issued with shovels so we can dig our own holes as well.
First published at 11:25, Thursday, 10 March 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)