I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur but...
Published at 08:58, Tuesday, 05 June 2012
I’m a dinosaur. Prehistoric. Old fogie. Out of touch.
I love real books with turning paper pages. I love builder’s tea in the mornings. And I love The Great Border City.
To my mind that doesn’t make me a bad person. But it obviously makes me a very old-fashioned one. Maybe I need to be rebranded.
So does The Border City, according to city council leader Dr Joe Hendry, among others.
He reckons our border moniker is way out of sync with modernity. Too insular and forbidding. Not global enough. We need a new glossy brand, he says. Shiny. Fresh. Inviting.
His suggestion is ‘Knowledge City‘. John Stevenson MP favours ‘Discover Carlisle‘. A wag I know chipped in with ‘Special Measures City‘ but he was run out of town.
The debate has barely begun.
Branding is a good thing. It tells it like it is – like it will want to be for a long time to come.
Carlisle is a city, close to a border. And it’s really great. I love it.
How about ‘Great Border C...‘ Oops, sorry. There goes the dinosaur again.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (40 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (11 comments)
- Cumbrian singer Emma Jones fifth in tonight's Britain's Got Talent semi-final (23 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (8 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (7 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (154 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (46 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (19 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Second £50m Sellafield contract goes to out of Cumbria firm
- CN Group Business Awards 2015 will celebrate best of Cumbria
- CN Group Business Awards 2015 launched
- Sellafield apprentices make it to final of national contest
- Cumbrian holiday park goes up for sale at £2.25m
- Workington house prices rocket over decade
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold (1 comment)
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (6 comments)
- Landmark Grand Theatre building for sale (4 comments)
- Updated: Police investigating after BMW car flipped onto its roof in Barrow crash
- Pupils and South Cumbria businesses team up in inspirational project
- Social media finds owner of camera found in Windermere
- Air weapon yobs seriously injure cat
- Missing teenager may be in Cumbria
- Cumbria police warn of Talk Talk computer scam
- £1m to replace Carlisle water pipe prone to bursts
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- Tickets go on sale for Lakes International Comic Art Festival
- Emma Jones hoping BGT will be springboard to success