I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur but...
Published at 08:58, Tuesday, 05 June 2012
I’m a dinosaur. Prehistoric. Old fogie. Out of touch.
I love real books with turning paper pages. I love builder’s tea in the mornings. And I love The Great Border City.
To my mind that doesn’t make me a bad person. But it obviously makes me a very old-fashioned one. Maybe I need to be rebranded.
So does The Border City, according to city council leader Dr Joe Hendry, among others.
He reckons our border moniker is way out of sync with modernity. Too insular and forbidding. Not global enough. We need a new glossy brand, he says. Shiny. Fresh. Inviting.
His suggestion is ‘Knowledge City‘. John Stevenson MP favours ‘Discover Carlisle‘. A wag I know chipped in with ‘Special Measures City‘ but he was run out of town.
The debate has barely begun.
Branding is a good thing. It tells it like it is – like it will want to be for a long time to come.
Carlisle is a city, close to a border. And it’s really great. I love it.
How about ‘Great Border C...‘ Oops, sorry. There goes the dinosaur again.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|