Zombies invade Carlisle
Last updated at 12:29, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Carlisle's Bitts Park was the focus of an invasion when hordes of zombies shuffled into town.
The mass gathering was the fourth annual meeting, after being set up by Johnny McCann, from Stanwix.
Saturday’s Zombie Walk was organised through Facebook – where Johnny is known as Johnny Marble – and around 20 people turned out in various states of decay. He said that numbers were lower than previous years and believed it could be down to the Cumbria Pride event which was taking place in the city centre at the same time.
He added that those who turned up enjoyed themselves. “It started as a joke when a friend of mine said if there was a zombie invasion of Carlisle he’d hide in the Castle,” he said. “So I said ‘I will sort out a few zombies’.”
They hope to raise money for charity at future events and say blood-related causes are appropriate.
He added: “The highlight was mingling with the gay pride crowd which was fun.
“We normally finish off with a game of zombie rounders – with a blood-covered ball and a severed leg for a baseball bat.”
To continue the costume theme Jonny has organised a masquerade ball at the Brickyard, in Fisher Street, on Saturday with the theme coming from the 1980s David Bowie film Labyrinth.
Kat Milligan, 26, travelled across the border from Dumfries and Galloway to take part and said it was good fun.
She joked that she liked “eating flesh” and added: “It’s not every day you get to dress up as a zombie.”
First published at 12:22, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (8 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (13 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (16 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (16 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (48 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|