Zombies invade Carlisle
Last updated at 12:29, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Carlisle's Bitts Park was the focus of an invasion when hordes of zombies shuffled into town.
The mass gathering was the fourth annual meeting, after being set up by Johnny McCann, from Stanwix.
Saturday’s Zombie Walk was organised through Facebook – where Johnny is known as Johnny Marble – and around 20 people turned out in various states of decay. He said that numbers were lower than previous years and believed it could be down to the Cumbria Pride event which was taking place in the city centre at the same time.
He added that those who turned up enjoyed themselves. “It started as a joke when a friend of mine said if there was a zombie invasion of Carlisle he’d hide in the Castle,” he said. “So I said ‘I will sort out a few zombies’.”
They hope to raise money for charity at future events and say blood-related causes are appropriate.
He added: “The highlight was mingling with the gay pride crowd which was fun.
“We normally finish off with a game of zombie rounders – with a blood-covered ball and a severed leg for a baseball bat.”
To continue the costume theme Jonny has organised a masquerade ball at the Brickyard, in Fisher Street, on Saturday with the theme coming from the 1980s David Bowie film Labyrinth.
Kat Milligan, 26, travelled across the border from Dumfries and Galloway to take part and said it was good fun.
She joked that she liked “eating flesh” and added: “It’s not every day you get to dress up as a zombie.”
First published at 12:22, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (105 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (44 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (36 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (10 comments)
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (7 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)