Workington man died of natural causes - inquest
Last updated at 12:23, Monday, 26 November 2012
A Workington man died of natural causes after suffering an enlarged heart.
Michael John Westgarth, 46, of Cockfield Drive, Westfield, put on weight steadily after quitting smoking in 2009, an inquest heard, and he collapsed at his mother’s home. He died in hospital.
A post-mortem concluded that Mr Westgarth, who was obese, died from an enlargment of the muscle tissue that makes up the wall of the heart. The pathologist found that Mr Westgarth had fluid on his lungs and fibrosis of the muscle.
Mr Westgarth’s weight continued to rise steadily since he quit smoking going from 18 stones to nearly 19 stones this year.
His mother Mrs Westgarth, who rang the ambulance, said she was in “total shock” when her son collapsed at about 1.20pm on the day of his death.
Mrs Westgarth said: “He stood up, walked to get his keys, turned around and collapsed. He was one in a million.”
Mrs Westgarth told the inquest that Mr Westgarth would visit her three times a day and was a “caring man” and “good dad”. He has two daughters Tara, 20 and Heidi, 17, with his ex wife, and a sister and a brother.
Coroner David Roberts recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.
First published at 12:20, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Raising the baa: 23.5lb woolly mammoth shocks Ulverston farmer
- Moving tributes to ‘one-off’ Cumbria campaigner for disabled (2 comments)
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- barrow chairman keen leads tributes to emlyn
- Nail-biting final in search for stars in Cumbria
- Mystery over abbot’s burial in presbytery
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Featherstone Castle
- Penrith strikers are on target
- Millom boy racers face town centre ban (7 comments)