Woman killed in road crash near Gretna
Last updated at 11:20, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
A woman has died and another is in a serious condition following a two-vehicle crash near Gretna.
The pair were in a grey Toyota Auris which collided with a Volvo lorry on the A75 one mile west of the Stonehouse junction at around 2pm yesterday.
One woman in the Toyota died at the scene and the other was airlifted to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow with serious injuries.
Ambulances, fire engines, police vehicles and an air ambulance attended the scene.
The driver of the Polish lorry was unhurt.
No details of either woman are being released until family have been informed.
The collision was on the westbound carriageway shortly after a flyover bridge bend.
The road was closed in both directions until just before 9pm as police investigation units worked to establish the cause.
Members of the public looked on from a nearby road bridge as emergency services cleared the scene, with a yellow Scottish Ambulance Service helicopter landing briefly on the road before taking off to transport the woman to hospital.
During initial operations the road was brightly-lit but by the time it was cleared responders were working in the dark to clear the dual carriageway and layby of debris.
Diversions were put in place while the road was closed but because of the remote location did not cause serious traffic problems.
Any witnesses or anyone who has information relating to the crash should call Dumfries and Galloway Police on 0845 6005701.
First published at 18:58, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|