Sunday, 29 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Woman died in Carlisle hospital after lover split led to overdose

A former national footballer died after being taken to hospital twice in two days following drug overdoses and a failed relationship.

Kelly Jamieson, 25, passed away at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle on October 7.

Coroner David Roberts said the young woman’s death highlighted the perils of taking illegal substances. An inquest into her death heard how she was battling to come to terms with the end of her relationship with her girlfriend.

Kirkcaldy-born Miss Jamieson had been a keen football player and represented Scotland in her youth but injured her back in a workplace accident which was treated by medication that she later overdosed on.

Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, Dr Roberts said: “This is an extremely tragic case, dealing with the death of a young woman only 25 years of age. Relationships do end and it can be very difficult to deal with.

“It shows the risk people seem to take these days with taking tablets not available legitimately. People simply do not know the risks of taking these drugs.”

Evidence showed that Miss Jamieson, of Netherby Street, Longtown, had a combination of painkillers dihydrocodeine and phenazapam in her system at the time of her death, as well as traces of paracetamol and cocaine.

She had been upset after breaking up with her girlfriend Melissa Riding at the end of the previous month.

This led to Miss Jamieson taking 25 dihydrocodeine tablets and seven paracetamol tablets on the evening of Saturday, October 5, as well as drinking eight bottles of lager.

She was assessed by psychiatric liaison nurse Dr Caren Nicholson and allowed to return home the following day.

Dr Nicholson suggested that this overdose may have been triggered by Miss Riding having sex with another woman at the flat she shared with Miss Jamieson, but this was flatly denied by Miss Riding.

Miss Jamieson came home from hospital on Sunday, October 6, and went to sleep, but was found unresponsive the following morning. She was rushed to hospital but attempts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful.

Dr Roberts said it was likely that she died due to taking more medication after her release from hospital.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: