Former west Cumbrian hotel to be turned into homes
Published at 11:31, Friday, 16 May 2014
A landmark hotel which has been empty for nearly two decades is to be transformed into new homes.
Workington’s Viaduct Hotel was ravaged by fire in the mid 1990s and has since declined into a derelict condition.
Viaduct Hotel Ltd, owned by Pat Roe, revealed last month that it wanted to develop the Grade II listed building into three apartments and two houses. Allerdale Council has approved the scheme, with work expected to start in a month.
Mr Roe’s company bought the empty building on Falcon Street seven years ago and initially planned to reopen it as a boutique hotel. But due to the financial climate, he changed his plans and decided to turn the property into homes.
“We expect work to begin in four weeks – but we aren’t going to rush it,” said the businessman. “This is very positive for the town and the local authority has been fantastic with the way they’ve helped us out.”
The project includes replacing the roof, windows and stripping out the inside of the building which has been plagued by vermin and wet rot.
Agent Bob Hardon, of Abbey Building Design in Workington, said that the front of the 18th century building would remain the same because it is Grade II listed.
“When people and entrepreneurs get off the train at Workington, the first thing they see is the derelict building – which isn’t a pretty picture,” said Mr Hardon.
“The good thing is that we have got a Grade II listed building back into use which is a positive move forward for the town.”
The apartments and houses will have three bedrooms each, with eight parking spaces in total available on site.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|