Warning for Carlisle owners as dog dies from distemper
Last updated at 12:21, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
A dog has died after contracting a virus which vets have not seen for years.
The nine-year-old animal was treated by Craig Robinson Vets, in Carlisle, after contracting distemper in the city.
Unfortunately, because it is a virus, there are no antibiotics or treatments and so it is often fatal.
Mari Reay has been a vet for a decade, but has not seen a dog with distemper for five or six years.
“It is a virus that affects dogs, foxes and ferrets,” she said. “It first appeared in about the 1960s or 70s and was really virulent – it spread really easily and was very nasty.
“A lot of dogs died because of it.”
Cases of the highly-contagious virus were all but eradicated in recent years, thanks to a rigorous vaccination programme.
Mrs Reay said: “It was obviously still going about, but we really got on top of it – it is one of seven nasty diseases which dogs are vaccinated against as puppies, and then in their yearly boosters.”
This case of distemper is believed to have been caught from a fox as they are increasingly more common in urban areas.
“Prevention is really key and so we want to urge all owners to make sure their dog’s vaccinations are up-to-date,” said Mrs Reay.
First published at 11:53, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)